Senior Software Development Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer working as part of IonQ’s system performance optimization team. As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
One of the most exciting and challenging aspects of building a quantum computer is the complexity of the system and the interdisciplinary nature of the work. The performance optimization team aims to use modeling, optimization, characterization, and automation to take all-up system performance to the next level. We’re looking for a motivated software engineer to join our team to build out and integrate our tool chain.
- Develop and maintain our tool chain of modeling, characterization, optimization, and calibration tools
- Connect our performance optimization tools to other parts of the stack
- Extend the functionality of our tools in response to internal and external customer requirements
- Independently manage deadlines priorities
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers to understand challenges and opportunities
You’d be a good fit with:
- 3+ years professional software engineering experience
- Experience developing software in a science / engineering R&D environment
- MS in physics or related field
You’d be a great fit with:
- 5+ years professional software engineering experience
- PhD in physics or related field
- Expert knowledge of performance-oriented python programming
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern machine learning techniques and packages
- Experience in robotics, control systems, or large-scale optimization
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.