Staff Engineer, Standards and Benchmarking Specialist
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to work on developing benchmarking and standardization activities for characterizing the operational and performance metrics of quantum computers. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
As a Staff Engineers in this role, you will be developing benchmarking methods to characterize the power of IonQ’s quantum computers to carry out complex computational tasks of practical relevance. You will lead IonQ’s engagements with customers, partners and other players in the industry in establishing operational metrics and performance benchmarking standards for quantum computing industry. We are looking for an experienced engineer who has a strong track record in working with standards organizations.
- Lead the operational metrics and performance benchmarking efforts for IonQ quantum computers
- Collaborate closely with application engineering, system integration and cloud computing teams to carry out performance and operational benchmarking of IonQ’s quantum computers
- Interface with IonQ’s customer team to reflect the advances in new customer use cases into performance and operational benchmarks
- Represent IonQ in various industry consortia and standards organizations in establishing industry-wide performance and operational standards for quantum computers
- Establish documentation for performance and operational benchmarking and standards activities at IonQ
You’d be a good fit with:
- B.S. degree in Computational Sciences, Electrical/computer Engineering, or other relevant disciplines
- 10+ years of experience in computer industry, software/application development, or performance benchmarking of advanced computing systems
- 3+ years of experience participating in standards activities at a standards developing organization
- Good practical working knowledge of high performance or advanced computing for various application areas
- Must have strong analytical skills, organizational, time management, and task prioritization abilities along with initiative, sense of ownership, team work and good judgment.
- Must have strong communication skills to discuss applications of quantum computing, operational metrics and performance benchmarking needs within the company, as well as representing IonQ’s views and interests at the standards developing organization
You’d be a great fit with:
- Advanced degree (MS, Ph.D., etc.) and/or research experience in computer or electrical engineering, computational science science, or related disciplines
- 15+ years of industry experience in high performance computing or performance benchmarking
- Experience interfacing with high performance computing customers to capture critical needs and developing operational and performance improvement solutions
- Experience leading standards activity at a standards developing organization
- Project management skills with experience in defining and fulfilling project goals, managing and meeting project timelines and/or customer commitments
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.