Senior Software Engineering Manager (Quantum Operating Systems)
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re proudly supported by high-quality investors like GV (Google Ventures), New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Amazon, Samsung, Bosch, HP, Airbus, and more.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineering Manager. As a Senior Software Engineering Manager, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Lead a team of Software Engineers focused on building the next generation quantum operating systems.
- Provide technical expertise in building robust and well engineered software solutions.
- Work with teams to make forward looking engineering choices, in many cases this will be in green field areas since no one has built these types of software systems for large scale quantum computers.
- Collaborate and communicate with product managers, physicists, external vendors, electrical and hardware engineering, application engineers, and other software engineering managers.
- Effectively self-manage multiple projects, priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Physics, or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- Programming experience in one of the following Python, Go, or Rust.
- Experience in working with technical experts outside of traditional software engineering, including electrical engineers, physicists, or similar technical areas.
- Experience with different software development methodologies such as agile, scrum, and kanban.
- Knowledge of team management best practices and demonstrated experience building effective teams.
You’d be a great fit with:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or a related degree
- 5 years of technical leadership and people management experience
- Experience in quantum computing or adjacent areas.
- A background in physics, computer architectures, or a related STEM field
Our HQ is located in the Discovery Park area of College Park, Maryland. We are a five-minute walk from the Metro.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.