Senior Software Engineer, Data Services
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for senior software engineers to help build our next-generation quantum operating system. Never worked on a quantum operating system? It’s much like an operating system for a robot, managing feedback loops at various time scales between sensors and actuators to create a precisely tuned environment where we can perform high fidelity quantum computations–and keeping track of complex, rapidly-changing state over time is critical to making it all possible. In this role, you’ll help build our OS’s data management layer, helping us build the world’s best quantum computers.
As a senior software engineer focused on data services for our quantum operating system, you will…
Get hands on:
- Lead, design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve major software components, systems, and features; being a small team, we count on each other to run with projects independently
- Write high-quality, well-tested, production-ready code in Rust and other languages
- Develop testing infrastructure for automated verification and validation
- Assist in the career development of others, providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Collaborate with an experienced interdisciplinary staff
- Approach problems pragmatically
- Help us continuously improve how we do things
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
In your first three months, you’ll help build the data engine at the core of our next-generation operating system.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science background, or equivalent practical experience -- untraditional backgrounds are welcome here
- 10+ years experience in software development in one or more general-purpose programming languages (like Rust, Go, or C++)
- Proven working experience with persisting, querying and serving highly-structured data in a mix of:
- RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred) via ORM (Go preferred)
- time series DBs (Influx Data's TICK stack preferred)
- structured document stores (MongoDB preferred)
- Solid background in authoring relational schemas with focus on normalization and query optimization
- Comfortable with developing for multithreaded execution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A love of collaborating in an interdisciplinary environment
- Empathy: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related technical field
- Deep expertise in Go and Rust
- Prior work with high-performant, multi-threaded, real-time code; microcontrollers or embedded operating systems; and relational, document and time-series DBs
- Strong data analysis skills; the ability to derive insights from data to make decisions
- Machine learning experience
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.