Principal Machine Learning Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
Not only can quantum computers provide a boost in machine learning, machine learning can help improve the performance of quantum computers! We’re looking for a principal ML engineer to help us figure out how to use machine learning techniques to improve the performance of our world-leading quantum computers from atoms to applications.
- Through hands-on engineering, plan and deliver machine learning projects that span IonQ’s stack, from how we design our traps to how we optimize our quantum computers
- Help define the vision and strategy for ML at IonQ
- Identify opportunities for technological investment
- Assist in the career development of senior staff, providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Communicate highly technical subject matter to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years as a hands-on machine learning engineer
- 5+ years leading cross-functional ML initiatives
- Experience building and maintaining large scale ML systems in production
- Experience in applying research to relevant industry problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A love of collaborating in an interdisciplinary environment
You’d be a great fit with:
- PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Strong background in linear algebra
- Experience using ML to optimize physical control systems
- Experience with graph learning
- Familiarity with quantum algorithms and/or quantum error correction
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.