Senior Engineer - Photonic Devices
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer - Photonics Devices. As a Senior Engineer - Photonics Devices, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Design, simulate, and optimize photonic integrated circuits (PICs) for integration into trapped-ion quantum computing systems
- Develop integrated photonics designs that improve device performance and insensitivity to fabrication variation
- Optimize PIC simulations to minimize computational resources and speed up the design workflow
- Design and layout of nano-fabrication masks
- Design, build, and utilize device characterization infrastructure for PICs that operate over a wavelength range from the near UV to the near infrared
- Develop novel PIC characterization capabilities and infrastructure to increase testing throughput
- Use device measurements as feedback to design and fabrication to improve PIC performance
You’d be a good fit with:
- Ph.D. in engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience in design and hands-on characterization of PICs and photonic devices
- Experience with simulations of integrated-photonic devices via Lumerical, COMSOL, or similar
- Experience with scripted mask design and layout for PICs
- Experience with fiber and/or free-space optics for delivery of laser light to PICs
- Experience designing, building, and using optical testing infrastructure, including automated testing systems
- Strong data processing, visualization, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with fabrication processes and design constraints for PICs
You’d be a great fit with:
- 5-10 years of PIC design and characterization experience
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Experience with optimization algorithms for automated PIC design
- Experience working with visible-light laser sources and optics
- Strong programming skills for mask layout and experimental automation software, and experience with version control systems such as git
- Experience using 3D CAD tools like Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.