RF Design Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an RF Design Engineer. As an RF Design Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. You will design and validate multi-channel RF chains packaged in subsystems and IMAs for laser control. RF Chains contain low phase noise RF synthesizers (1-15 GHz), power amplifiers (1- 5 W), and laser amplitude/frequency stabilization systems and other active and passive devices.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading multiple simultaneous initiatives, balancing multiple activities with a keen eye for prioritizing for the biggest impact. You'll enjoy hands-on lab work, learning technical topics, working across multiple business streams, and be uniquely positioned to help us reach the next horizon in quantum computing.
- RF / Analog circuit design knowledge, test and optimization up to 15 GHz
- Design microwave integrated circuit boards using SMT filters, MMICs, synthesizers, mixers, amplifiers, switches, variable attenuators, couplers, dividers, detectors, etc.
- Perform RF engineering design tasks, including requirements analysis, specification generation, component selection, simulation, schematic capture, and board layout
- Design, simulate, and test variety of RF chains that includes analog and digital phase lock loops for RF synthesizers and laser frequency/phase locks
- Work with TestEngine to define test plans and procedures
- Assist Test Engineer with troubleshooting and implementation of correction action
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or other relevant technical degree from an accredited university
- At least 3 years of technical experience in RF/Microwave engineering and circuit design.
- Detailed understanding of RF specifications, analysis, simulation, and modeling
- Experience in creating complete schematics for controlled RF modules using a schematic capture tool like Altium Designer (preferred), OrCAD, or Allegro
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and manage time effectively
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills. Ability to communicate effectively with cross functional teams
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master's degree in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or other relevant technical field.
- Working knowledge of RF CAD tools such as Keysight ADS or Cadence Microwave Office
- Experience in designing plugin modular RF cards for PXI, VMA or VPX standards
- Understanding of EMI, EMC, ESD standards and implementation.
- Familiarity with Electro Optical Modulators and Acousto Optical Modulators
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.