Network and Security Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re proudly supported by high-quality investors like GV (Google Ventures), New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Amazon, Samsung, Bosch, HP, Airbus, and more.
We are looking for a Network and Security Engineer. As a Network and Security Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Analyze performance and capacity requirements and plan network topologies
- Install, tune, and upgrade networking equipment at the foundation of our quantum computers (we run our systems locally, and make them available to customers via the cloud)
- Optimize Linux networking subsystem for maximum throughput (we run many components at close to full physical link capacity)
- Manage network redundancy with our upstream providers
- Administrate our wireless and wired networks
- Set up and maintain peering arrangements with major cloud providers
- Secure our facility against internal and external threats
- Work with external vendors to regular audit and test our networks
You’d be a good fit with:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years network engineering and Linux system administration
- 5+ years managing enterprise-grade firewalls and VPNs
- Deep understanding of BGP and VLANs
- Experience tuning 10GbE networks
- Able to identify processes in need of automation quickly, and automate them
- Able (and excited) to mentor junior engineers
You’d be a great fit with:
- 2+ years in security engineering
- Hybrid cloud-prem networking experience
- Network and security certifications
- A love of CI/CD
- Substantial experience with one or more of the major clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP)
Our HQ is located in the Discovery Park area of College Park, Maryland. We are a five-minute walk from the Metro.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.