Senior Software Engineer, Quantum Operating Systems
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re proudly supported by high-quality investors like GV (Google Ventures), New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Amazon, Samsung, Bosch, HP, Airbus, and more.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Quantum Operating Systems. As a Senior Software Engineer, Quantum Operating Systems, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
As a senior engineer you will be expected to:
- Lead, design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve major software components, systems, and features; being a small team, we count on each other to run with projects independently
- Collaborate with an experienced interdisciplinary staff
- Ensure the quality of our system architecture and design
- Assist in the career development of others, providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Approach problems pragmatically
- Help us continuously improve how we do things
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience -- untraditional backgrounds are welcome here
- 10+ years experience in software development in one or more general-purpose programming languages (like Go, Rust, or C++)
- Excellent engineering skills in a few key areas:
- Multithreaded programming and execution
- Real-time/embedded systems
- Distributed systems
- Interfacing with hardware via Ethernet, USB, serial, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A love of collaborating in an interdisciplinary environment
- Care for users: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related technical field
- Deep expertise in Go and/or Rust
- Experience with programmatic device control (SCPI, MODBUS, etc. over serial, USB, TCP)
- Prior work with relational, document and time-series DBs
- Machine learning experience
- Familiarity with digital signal processing
Our HQ is located in the Discovery Park area of College Park, Maryland. We are a five-minute walk from the Metro.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.