Staff Software Engineer, Quantum Tools
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
Our quantum computing platform is front-end agnostic—we’d like to support all quantum programming kits and libraries so that our customers can bring the tools they’re most comfortable with to program our devices. In this role, you’ll be building the software that makes that possible!
As a staff software engineer with a focus on quantum programming tools, you will be expected to...
Get hands on:
- Own our Qiskit and Cirq integrations as we grow our platform and user base
- Become a master at the art of getting the most out of a quantum computing hardware platform
- Design and build new internal tools for interacting with our APIs and programming our quantum computers
- Get involved with the quantum programming community at large by participating in community meetings, Slacks, hackathons, and conferences
- Contribute to open source projects that our customers and teams rely on
- Help our customers succeed with great documentation and onboarding
You’ll be building the tools that enable our customers to program our quantum computers. This is an opportunity for a senior software engineer with an emerging or existing interest in quantum computing to bring their diverse background and talents into the future. Alternatively this is an opportunity for a quantum researcher with strong software engineering skills to engage in building the tooling to make quantum computer research faster and more productive. We’d love a blend of hands-on experience as well as tactical and strategic direction.
In your first three months, you’ll be helping update our Qiskit, Cirq, Penny Lane, and ProjectQ libraries to support new capabilities.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent practical experience—untraditional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged!
- 10+ years proficient programming expertise in a general-purpose language like Python
- 5+ years experience building programming libraries and/or SDKs
- Prior experience with quantum computing or quantum information science
- A history of open source contributions, ideally to quantum computing libraries or related
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Quantum Information Science
- Prior experience in developer relations or advocacy
- IBM’s Qiskit Developer certificate (but we realize basically nobody does yet)
- A history of maintaining open source projects
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform and RESTful APIs
- Excitement to learn and get things done right
- Empathy for your internal and external customers and excellent communication skills, since you’ll be working with folks of all backgrounds—technical and non-technical alike
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.