Principal Electrical Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re proudly supported by high-quality investors like GV (Google Ventures), New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Amazon, Samsung, Bosch, HP, Airbus, and more.
We are looking for a Principal Electrical Engineer. As a Principal Electrical Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Contribute to the design of the top-level control system architecture
- Lead the design and development of control subsystem enclosures, backplanes, power supplies and cooling
- Prepare and present system architecture design analysis and trade studies with recommendations for development
- Define module requirements and specifications based on system requirements
- Perform simulation and modeling of analog and digital control modules and systems
- Provide technical management for small teams. Develop project plans, track progress of tasks, and cost. Organize, plan, and lead project meetings.
You’d be a good fit with:
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
- >15 years of experience with electronics design for control applications
- Detailed knowledge of electronics system enclosures, backplane topologies, power supplies and distribution, and cooling
- Experience with development of custom backplanes
- Familiarity with backplane standards such as VME, VPX, CompactPCI, and MicroTCA
- Detailed knowledge of circuit board design, fabrication, and assembly processes
- Schematic capture with Altium Designer (preferred), OrCAD, or Allegro
- Detailed knowledge of circuit simulation and modeling tools
- Proficient with complex laboratory test equipment and measurement techniques
- Understanding of EMI, EMC, ESD standards and implementation.
- Experience with fast-paced commercial product development
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and manage time effectively
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills. Ability to communicate effectively with cross functional teams
- Technical team leadership experience. Ability to mentor junior engineers.
Our HQ is located in the Discovery Park area of College Park, Maryland. We are a five-minute walk from the Metro.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.