Senior Photonics Device Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re proudly supported by high-quality investors like GV (Google Ventures), New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Amazon, Samsung, Bosch, HP, Airbus, and more.
We are looking for a Senior Photonics Device Engineer. As a Senior Photonics Device Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Lead an effort focused on the characterization and validation of photonic integrated circuits (PICs) and devices
- Design, build, and utilize device characterization infrastructure for PICs that operate over a wide wavelength range from the near UV to the near infrared
- Develop novel PIC characterization capabilities and infrastructure to increase testing throughput
- Develop device testing and characterization protocols and data analysis tools
- Develop databases to store raw and analyzed data and results
- Design and simulate PICs for testing and for integration into trapped-ion quantum computing systems
- Work within a team of microfabrication engineers, PIC designers, and quantum computing physicists to improve PIC performance and system impact
You’d be a good fit with:
- 7+ years of experience in hands-on characterization and design of photonic integrated circuits (PICs) and devices
- Experience with free-space and fiber optics for delivery of laser light to PICs
- Experience designing, building, and using optical testing infrastructure, including automated testing systems
- Strong data processing, visualization, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with fabrication processes and design constraints for PICs
- Ph.D. in engineering, applied physics, or related field
You’d be a great fit with:
- Experience with simulations of integrated-photonic devices via Lumerical, COMSOL, or similar
- Experience working with visible-light laser sources and optics
- Strong programming skills for experimental automation software
- Experience using 3D CAD tools like Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks
Our HQ is located in the Discovery Park area of College Park, Maryland. We are a five-minute walk from the Metro.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.