Senior Physicist, System Development
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Physicist. As a Senior Physicist, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Contribute to the design, assembly, and characterization of a trapped ion quantum computer
- Measure and analyze data on the performance of a trapped ion quantum computer
- Closely collaborate with software engineers to optimize the operational performance and calibration protocols
- Develop techniques to continually improve performance of the quantum computer
- Independently design, build and operate R&D test assemblies to characterize and improve subsystems
You’d be a good fit with:
- PhD in physics or related field, with deep knowledge of atomic and optical physics
- Experience designing and running AMO systems and experiments
- Experience working in a complex AMO lab
You’d be a great fit with:
- Experience working with ion traps
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Experience aligning and characterizing diffraction limited optical systems
- Experience with Python programming for data analysis and data capture
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a five-minute walk from the Metro. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.