Staff Software Engineer, Digital Signal Processing
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
Our quantum computers perform calculations by shooting individual atoms floating in a vacuum with carefully modulated laser pulses—the better the pulse, the better the computation. We’re looking for a staff software engineer to help us make the best pulses on the planet. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to ensure we consistently deliver the best quantum gates in the world, helping drive the technical direction for our next-generation quantum computers.
- Lead, design, architect, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve major software components, systems, and features; being a small team, we count on each other to run with projects independently
- Write high-quality, well-tested, production-ready code in Rust and other languages
- Develop testing infrastructure for automated verification and validation
- Assist in the career development of others, providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Collaborate with an experienced interdisciplinary staff
- Approach problems pragmatically
- Help us continuously improve how we do things
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years experience in software development in one or more systems programming languages (like C, C++ or Rust) Excellent engineering skills in a few key areas:
- Digital signal processing, both mathematical foundations and bench experience
- Strong background in linear algebra and complex analysis
- Programmatic data acquisition from oscilloscopes and/or spectrum analyzers
- Multithreaded programming and execution
- Solid mathematical and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A love of collaborating in an interdisciplinary environment
- Empathy and customer focus: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Physics, Astronomy, Acoustics, Electrical Engineering, or related technical field
- Deep expertise in C, C++, Rust or Go
- 5+ years applied digital signal processing experience, with a proven ability to develop, define, design and implement signal processing solutions in complex systems and real-time hardware
- Proven ability with microcontrollers or embedded operating systems
- Knowledge of statistical estimation and a programming language used for simulation like Python/R/MATLAB
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.