Senior Software Engineer, Embedded Systems
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for senior software engineers to help build our real-time software subsystem. Our quantum control software provides low latency orchestration of full-scale quantum control—the laser pulses that perform our quantum logic gates use highly precise timing, allowing us to take advantage of the awesome quantum power of superposition and interference. In this role, you’ll help build real-time software control capabilities, helping us continue to build the world’s best quantum computers.
- Lead, design, architect, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve major software components, systems, and features; being a small team, we count on each other to run with projects independently
- Ensure the quality of our system through design and code reviews
- Assist in the career development of others, providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Collaborate with an experienced interdisciplinary staff
- Approach problems pragmatically
- Help us continuously improve how we do things
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience -- untraditional backgrounds are welcome here
- 7+ years experience in software development in one or more general-purpose programming languages (like Go, Rust, or C++)
- Excellent engineering skills in a few key areas:
- Multithreaded programming and execution
- Embedded systems
- Abstract data structures and algorithms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A love of collaborating in an interdisciplinary environment
- Empathy and customer focus: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related technical field
- Expertise in Rust
- A love of CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with digital signal processing
- Familiarity with image processing, especially on embedded hardware
- Experience with Xilinx tools (Vivado, Petalinux)
- Real-time computing experience
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.