Director of Applications
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Director of Application Development to lead our business and technology development in utilizing IonQ’s quantum computers to create solutions for our business partners. As a Director of Application Development, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to solve the world’s most complex problems using world’s best quantum computers built at IonQ.
- Develop and grow IonQ’s applications business by establishing and managing customer engagements developing quantum solutions for practical real-world problems
- Develop and execute strategies for establishing quantum solutions business in a wide range of industry verticals
- Build and manage a highly talented technical team dedicated to building quantum solutions
- Drive a culture of customer success and innovation in the Application Development team
- Identify opportunities for developing and deploying quantum solution packages for a broad user base
- Interface with other technical teams to enable development of powerful IonQ quantum computers optimized for solution development
- Work closely with Product Management, Sales, and Marketing teams to expand customer base
- Collaborate with Product Management and Product Marketing to provide customer insights about product functionality, documentation, and educational material.
- Create strong portfolio of intellectual property in quantum applications
- Develop new business models and identify new business opportunities enabled by quantum solutions
- Collaborate with other managers and consistently and effectively communicate across the organization and up the leadership chain
You’d be a good fit with:
- 15+ years of experience in technical R&D for solution development in algorithms and/or computational applications
- 5+ years of experience leading consultative customer engagements
- 5+ years of managing deeply technical teams to develop innovative solutions for customer problems
- Proven track record of technical leadership and innovation, demonstrated through deployed solutions, commercial licenses, publications and/or patents
- Experience in building, operating and growing business focused on providing solutions to customer problems
- Proficient executive presentation communication skills
You’d be a great fit with:
- Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, physics or related field
- Prior experience commercializing radically new technologies
- Experience or familiarity with quantum computing
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.