Staff Theoretical Physicist
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a theoretical physicist. As a staff theoretical physicist, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. You will join a group of interdisciplinary scientists and engineers to develop the next generation toolchain to model, simulate, and optimize our trapped-ion quantum computer.
- Work in a team environment to develop modeling and simulation tools for qubit dynamics in trapped-ion quantum computers
- Develop efficient models for high fidelity gate operations in trapped-ion quantum computers
- Develop methods to characterize noise sources in trapped-ion quantum computers
- Interface with quantum computing system developers to utilize practical and system-specific knowledge in developing the models
- Develop various numerical simulation tools for realistic noisy quantum operations from Hamiltonian level to circuit level
- Develop pulse shaping and error mitigating techniques
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Doctorate degree in (quantum) physics or relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in both analytics and numerics
- Device-level understanding of experimental equipment and/or systems
- Experience of end-to-end software development in Python, C++ / Fortran
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A love of collaborating in an interdisciplinary environment
- 5+ years of active research experience in academic / industry environment
You’d be a great fit with:
- Demonstrated experience in error modeling and mitigation
- Extensive knowledge of atomic physics, including in trapped ion system architecture
- Experience in working closely with experimental physicists or engineers
- Demonstrated experience in developing high performance code
- Strong background in linear algebra
- Proficiency in quantum circuits
- Familiarity with quantum algorithms and/or quantum error correction
- Experience in quantum benchmarking, certification, and tomography
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.