Senior Engineer, Devices
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Device Engineer and as a Device Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. In this role, you will be the technical lead in an effort to characterize ion-trap and other micro-fabricated devices and device-package assemblies in order to provide essential feedback to design and fabrication teams. This includes electrical, thermal, mechanical, and optical characterization.
- Lead the design, build, and operation of electronic, mechanical, thermal, and optical testing infrastructure for micro-fabricated devices and device package assemblies
- Develop characterization procedures and protocols, and data analysis and organization tools
- Perform detailed measurements, analyze and organize data, and present and discuss results with teammates for feedback to design and fabrication
- Own and maintain cleanroom metrology and testing tools
- Work within a team of micro-fabrication engineers, IC and PIC designers, and quantum computing physicists to improve device and device-assembly characterization, metrology, and packaging
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelors or higher in Engineering or Physics
- 5+ years of experience with hands-on electrical, thermal, mechanical, and/or optical characterization of micro-fabricated devices and device package assemblies
- Experience building custom testbeds and developing custom device test procedures
- Experience working in cleanrooms with sensitive devices and equipment
- Strong data analysis, visualization, and organizational skills
- Strong programming skills (e.g., Python) for hardware control/automation and data analysis
You’d be a great fit with:
- Ph.D. or higher in Engineering or Physics
- 2+ years of experience leading technical projects focused on micro-fabricated device characterization and development
- 2+ years of experience in industry working within a team focused on setting and meeting technical goals and deadlines for product delivery
- Experience working with ultra-high-vacuum (UHV) assemblies
- Experience with cryogenics
- Experience using micro-fabricated device and materials analysis tools and techniques, such as SEM, TEM, XPS, SIMS, EDS
- Experience using 3D CAD tools (e.g., Solidworks)
- Experience with failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.