Senior Technical Program Manager - Research and Development
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a highly capable and independent Technical Program Manager to support a variety of research and development projects. As a member of the Research and Development organization, you will be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
In this role you will lead a diverse interdisciplinary team of scientists, optical engineers, mechanical engineers, software engineers, and device fabrication experts tackling the next generation of quantum computing problems. You’ll work with principal investigators and product managers on complex projects across teams and domains internally and externally to drive execution to schedule through initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, controlling and completion. You will support delivery of a wide variety of initiatives and new products ranging from novel quantum gate technology, quantum computer scaling, photonic interconnects, advanced optomechanical systems, novel packaging, and advanced ion trap technology.
- Work with product managers to scope and set objectives for new project development of novel quantum computing hardware and systems, backed by product and market needs
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with technical teams, product managers, and cross-functional stakeholders to develop, maintain, and communicate project plans and milestones to technical and non-technical stakeholders; own project reporting and governance
- Lead the transition of technology and capabilities from research and development to production, including the delivery of first articles and technology demonstrations
- Monitor project performance to understand impacts to cost, schedule, and technical performance; actively prioritize deliverables: determine critical path amongst cross-functional deliverables
- When projects encounter significant obstacles, roll up your sleeves, dive into details, and lead problem solving efforts
- Conduct risk analysis and develop mitigation plans to ensure on-time release and delivery of project deliverables
- Contribute-to and improve technology and product roadmaps
- Work with contracting, legal, and proposal teams to develop technical volumes and basis-of-estimates
- Drive quality control processes such as standard work, RCCA, FMEAs, and continuous improvement to reduce risks in project deliverables
- Conduct weekly meetings, drive and track action items
You’d be a good fit with:
- 7+ years experience in new product development of highly technical products
- B.S. in physics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, or other technical field
- Prior experience delivering complex, first-of-a-kind R&D projects
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong commitment to customer advocacy, success, and customer engagement
- Prior experience working in complex projects with many moving parts
- Ability to work effectively with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with constantly evolving roles and responsibilities
- Strong technical and software skills (Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)
You’d be a great fit with:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related engineering field
- Prior experience with trapped ion systems, photonics, or quantum computing
- Prior experience working in business roles such as marketing, sales, or proposal management
- Familiarity with engineering gated development processes
- Prior experience working government contracts
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.