Engineer, Optical Packaging
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an Optical Packaging Engineer to lead the hybrid integration of micro-optical elements and fiber optics with microfabricated ion traps. As an Optical Packaging Engineer, you will be part of a diverse team of packaging engineers, optical engineers, thermal and mechanical engineers, device fabrication experts and physicists dedicated to this goal. This team is part of a cross-functional organization whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Lead the development of novel ion-trap optical packaging techniques
- Assembly of optical package modules in support of system needs
- Stress testing and failure analysis of packaging and individual components
- Support the full development lifecycle of novel hybrid optical microfabricated systems; including detailed design, creation of statements of work for internal and external activities, procurement of components and materials, characterization and testing, and validation
- Assist with the transition from R&D to production, including development of first articles and technology demonstrations
You'd be a good fit with :
- Bachelors or higher in Engineering or relevant field/discipline
- 10+ years of hands-on optics device packaging experience, especially with systems which undergo stress cycling
- 3+ years experience of hands-on optics device packaging experience in industry
- Experience with micro-optics assembly and packaging, including optical fiber-to-chip attachment for photonic integrated circuits (PICs)
- Expertise in identifying and using packaging techniques, components, and materials to manage mechanical stress and thermal expansion/contraction
- UHV device/component handling and knowledge of cryogenic and UHV-compatible materials
- Understanding of cleanroom procedures
- Experience with data aggregation and statistical analysis/reporting
- Machine shop/fabrication experience including mill, drill press, hand tools, etc.
- Experience using 3D CAD tools like Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work on a team
You'd be a great fit with :
- PhD in Engineering or relevant field/discipline
- 3+ years leading a high-precision packaging development effort
- Experience with thermal, electrical, and mechanical modeling of microfabricated devices in Ansys, COMSOL, or similar
- SEM and profilometry experience
- Flip chip/bump bonding experience
- Programming experience in MATLAB, Python, or other engineering relevant language
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.