Lead Engineer, Developer Relations
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
Quantum computers don’t program themselves — indeed, programming quantum computers is so different than programming classical computers that it’s said there may be less than 200 people in the world who really know how to create novel quantum algorithms. We need an experienced Lead Developer Relations Engineer to help us grow the community of quantum software developers generally, and IonQ quantum platform developers specifically. We believe delivering truly great developer experiences is essential to help unleash quantum computing’s awesome potential for the world. In this role, you’ll be empowered to lead launches and campaigns for developer audiences around key areas such as domain libraries, computing APIs, distributed training, and more, working directly with quantum computing pioneers, leading research institutions, and enterprises.
- Build the developer relations function at IonQ! You’ll collaborate with developers at conferences, hackathons, and online, helping both build community and advocate for our developers’ needs
- Work with leadership and cross-functional teams to set directions for our quantum compute platform and integrations
- Help plan event and developer marketing strategies
- Work with our engineering, product, and marketing teams to improve our products by sharing feedback, reviewing API designs and testing new capabilities across our language-agnostic stack
- Help develop the future of quantum programming as you grow our community of developers, magnifying the impact of quantum computing on the world
- Own building and distributing content relevant to educate and nurture the developer audience
- Define creative and effective ways to communicate the latest innovations - demo, presentations, infographics, etc
- Synthesize conversations with developers into actionable insights to shape product plans and report best practices with cross-functional teams
You’d be a good fit with:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years experience in developer relations
- 3+ years experience in leadership or people management
- Prior experience building/running a developer relations team
- Great people and communication skills, whether writing blog posts or giving presentations
- A love of mentorship
- Experience in Python
You’d be a great fit with:
- An educational or professional background in quantum information science, physics, or mathematics
- Existing relationships in the quantum field
- Familiarity with one or more major quantum programming kits (Cirq, Penny Lane, ProjectQ, Qiskit)
- Experience building and executing long-term strategies to improve developer experience
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.