Senior R&D Manager
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a highly capable Senior Manager to help lead our research and development (R&D) efforts. As a member of the Research and Development organization, you will lead a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
In this role you’ll lead a diverse team of physicists, scientists, optical engineers, mechanical engineers, software engineers, and device fabrication experts to deliver a portfolio of novel technologies that range from qubit technology and ion traps to ultra-high vacuum and cryogenic systems within Research and Development. You’ll be responsible for helping hire, grow, and coordinate the team to deliver new capabilities that influence and shape generations of our upcoming products.
- Manage a portfolio of building block technologies and capabilities for quantum computers from inception to new product introduction; transitioning technology and capabilities from R&D to production, including the delivery of first articles and technology demonstrations
- Perform and guide efforts in conceptualizing, developing, and designing our next generation of quantum computer components, systems, and networking
- Partner with both internal design and fabrication teams, and external partners/suppliers to build real-world software and hardware
- Lead technical teams of Physicists, Engineers, Scientists, and Technical Program Managers to meet programmatic performance, schedule, cost, and quality commitments
- Hire and develop staff with the right skills for success
- Assist in the career development of others, including performance assessments for mid-year and end-of-year reviews, compensation adjustments, and provide mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Contribute-to and improve technology and product roadmaps
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics or related Engineering field
- 10+ years of experience operating in a research and development environment with 5+ years of experience in managing an engineering team with diverse skill sets
- Demonstrated experience delivering complex, first-of-a-kind R&D projects
- Knowledge of team management best practices and demonstrated experience building and scaling effective teams that drives a high performance culture in a hybrid work environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
You’d be a great fit with:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related engineering field\
- 10+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- Familiarity or a background in one or more of the following technical areas: photonic (optical) networking, trapped-ion systems, micro-optics, quantum gate protocols, quantum algorithm development, quantum error correction, quantum information science
- Prior experience working government contracts
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.