Senior Staff Software Engineer, Site Reliability
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
Want to help us build the world's largest and most precise quantum computing platform? We trap atoms in a vacuum chamber and manipulate them with lasers to perform calculations that we intend to scale beyond the reach of today's supercomputers. Unfortunately, the lasers don’t prevent bugs. We’re looking for our first site reliability engineer to help increase performance, decrease latency, and ensure that the world’s best quantum computers have the best possible uptime.
- Create the reliability engineering function at IonQ! You’ll manage, create and support infrastructure, instrumentation, and tooling for both our product and the engineering teams. You’ll be key in providing reliable services to our customers, and a force multiplier for our engineers by helping us eliminate toil and scale our systems sustainably.
- Maintain monitoring and alerting systems deployed on kubernetes (both self-managed on-prem and in the cloud) and on Linux workstations.
You’d be a good fit with:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years experience in either of site reliability engineering or system administration
- Experience with virtualized and containerized environments
- Experience operating and debugging Unix/Linux OS internals (e.g., filesystems, inodes, system calls) or networking (e.g., TCP/IP, routing, network topologies and hardware, SDN).
- Experience with a Windows environment/powershell is a nice plus
- Strong interest in security
- Strongly capable in a scripting language of your choice (shell, Python, etc.)
- Able to identify processes in need of automation quickly, and automate them
- Able (and excited) to mentor junior engineers
You’d be a great fit with:
- 5+ years experience in software development
- 5+ years experience with Terraform, kubernetes, and/or VMware
- You’ve been responsible for large-scale distributed systems, or an HPC workload
- Familiarity both with GCP and AWS
- Proven experience with scaling databases and web applications
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.