Senior Manager, Software Engineering, Automation & Calibration
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineering Manager to lead the team that builds the software routines and tools for the bringup, calibration, and automation of all of our quantum computers—think of this role as stewarding the userspace applications that run on top of our core OS. You’ll be responsible for helping hire, grow, and coordinate the team of engineers that supports the construction and automation of each new quantum computer.
- Ensure high quality, scalable, well-tested software through architecture and code reviews
- Provide technical expertise in building robust and well-engineered software solutions
- Grow a team of Software Engineers with expertise in calibrating and automating our quantum computers
- Effectively self-manage technical roadmaps, multiple projects, priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Identify, track and mitigate execution roadblocks and technical risks
- Assist in the career development of others, including performance assessments for mid-year and end-of-year reviews, and providing mentorship on advanced technical issues
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure that each of our quantum computers is fully automated and high quality throughout its lifecycle
- Provide clear, concise communication to management, product development teams, and customers
- Collaborate and communicate with physicists, designers, electrical engineers, external vendors, and other software engineering managers
- Drive continuous improvement to an established product development process
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous initiatives, balancing multiple activities with a keen eye for prioritizing for the biggest impact. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices with lasting impact. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment. You'll enjoy learning technical topics, working across multiple business streams, and be uniquely positioned to help us reach the next horizon in secure quantum computing.
In your first three months, you’ll be helping hire key staff to scale this function.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- 10+ years programming experience in a general-purpose programming language (like Python, TypeScript, Go, Rust, or C++)
- A deep understanding of statistics
- Experience in working with technical experts outside of traditional software engineering, particularly electrical engineers and physicists
- Knowledge of team management best practices and demonstrated experience building and scaling effective teams that drives a high performance culture in a hybrid work environment
- Empathy: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
- Sound project management, analytical skills and ability to establish metrics to measure and drive a high return on investment
You’d be a great fit with:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, or a related degree
- 10+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- 3+ years in machine learning and/or mathematical optimization
- A background in digital signal processing and/or control theory
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.