Staff Software Engineer, Subsystem Integration and Testing
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer, Subsystem Integration and Testing. As a Staff Engineer, Subsystem Integration and Testing, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
We're looking for system and software engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including software and hardware integration and subsystem validation. As a subsystems engineer, you’ll help integrate and validate the reprogrammable subsystems of our quantum computer to ensure successful deployments to our internal and external customers.
Our subsystems integrate together to create quantum gates on the most powerful quantum computers in the world. We’re looking for an engineer who has bridged the gap between developing DevOps tests for complicated software subsystems and integrating and testing analog RF systems. This will require automating tests for continuous integration and deployment of our quantum computer subsystems while identifying, isolating, and reverting failures between software, FPGA and hardware components.
This position will involve automating tests of software, firmware, and hardware subsystems for correct behavior at the subsystem and interface level. Candidates will use CI/CD technologies to automate testing of subsystem behavior holistically, using digital, analog, and mocked software interfaces to control those subsystems.
- Define, develop, and implement the CI/CD/automated testing strategy for our quantum computer subsystems
- Automate subsystem testing, balancing test coverage and time to merge with the needs of development and release builds
- Development of a resilient test runner, and integration and maintenance of it within a CI/CD pipeline
- Testing quantum computer subsystems at interface boundaries by creating and using software mockups, signal mockups, hardware interfaces, and automated control of analog and digital test equipment
- Identification of the faulty component causing subsystem test failures, and collaboration with development teams in resolving these issues
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's degree or relevant experience in Computer Science, Physics, or Electrical Engineering
- 3+ years of test automation in a CI/CD environment
- Strong experience with one general purpose programming language, such as Python, Java, C#, Go, etc.
- Testing of digital and analog hardware subsystems with significant software and firmware components
You’d be a great fit with:
- 5+ years of test automation
- Experience automating embedded systems testing
- Experience with digital signal processing validation and verification
- Experience automating waveform validation using oscilloscopes and other engineering test equipment.
- CI/CD experience integrating and validating custom software, firmware, and hardware components
- Comfort with digging into unfamiliar technical areas and components to identify root causes of failures
- Strong software and hardware debugging skills
- Experience with CI and CD automation, including handling hardware setup and teardown across varieties of different subsystems
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.