Associate General Counsel, Commercial
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel, Commercial, part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Draft, review, and negotiate complex commercial technology agreements, including hardware sales agreements, system access agreements, and purchase orders.
- Own and lead scaling projects that directly impact the growth of the commercial legal function, including the implementation of contract management software, the development of forms and playbooks, and the training of cross-functional teams.
- Partner with our internal sales, partnership and procurement teams to drive deals to completion.
- Independently lead complex transactions from start to finish.
- Work with internal clients to advise on negotiation strategy and ensure the contemplated legal terms will meet our needs over the long term.
- Assist with the government contracting process, including review of FAR and OTA-based agreements and supporting documentation.
- Proactively flag legal risks to cross-functional partners.
You’d be a good fit with:
- J.D. from an accredited law school and admitted to practice in at least one US jurisdiction (WA, MD, MA or CA preferred).
- 7+ years post law school experience, with at least 3 years in-house experience at a startup, high-growth or recently public company.
- Exceptional skills in reviewing, negotiating, drafting, and managing technology transaction contracts, with a history of partnership with sales and procurement teams to achieve outstanding results.
- Interest in quantum computing or eagerness to learn a nascent technology from the start.
You’d be a great fit with:
- Ability to engage with business owners and ramp up quickly on the technical and strategic requirements of a project.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to articulate legal terms and risks to leadership and non-legal teams.
- Good judgment, low ego, positive attitude and the ability to be flexible and think through legal risk in practical, real-world terms.
- A knack for bringing order to chaos in a rapidly scaling environment.
- Superior project management skills.
- Intellectual property and government contracting experience.
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.