Quantum Package System Lead
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Quantum Package System Lead to lead the design, development, and characterization of our current and future trapped-ion package systems, which serve as the heart of IonQ’s quantum computers. In this role, you will lead a diverse team of electronic and optical packaging engineers, thermal and mechanical engineers, and FMEA engineers dedicated to this goal. In addition, you will work closely with other quantum system leads, defining subsystem interfaces and exploring design-space constraints and tradeoffs to optimize full-quantum-computer-system performance.
- Lead the design, development, and characterization of novel ion-trap-module and optical packaging techniques
- Coordinate the full development lifecycle of novel hybrid optical and electronic microfabricated systems; including detailed design, creation of statements of work for internal and external activities, procurement of components and materials, characterization and testing, and validation.
- Coordinate with other quantum system leads to define and explore subsystem interfaces and constraints
- Scope and set objectives for new technical projects centered on device and optical packaging
- Guide the technical direction of projects and work with your team to develop and implement creative technical solutions to challenging problems
- Develop project timelines, identifying key decision dates and completion dates
- Monitor project performance to understand impacts to cost, schedule, and technical performance; actively prioritize deliverables: determine critical path amongst cross-functional deliverables
- Conduct risk analysis and develop mitigation plans to ensure on-time release and delivery of project deliverables
- Assist with the transition from research and development to production, including development of first articles and technology demonstrations
You'd be a good fit with :
- Bachelors or higher in Engineering or relevant field/discipline
- 10+ years of hands-on electronics and optics device packaging experience, especially with systems which undergo stress cycling
- 5+ years leading a high-precision packaging development effort in industry
- Experience with FMEA
- Expertise in identifying and using packaging techniques, components, and materials to manage mechanical stress and thermal expansion/contraction
- UHV device/component handling and knowledge of cryogenic and UHV-compatible materials
- Understanding of cleanroom procedures
- Experience with data aggregation and statistical analysis/reporting
- Experience using 3D CAD tools like Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work on and lead a team
You'd be a great fit with :
- PhD in Engineering or relevant field/discipline
- Experience managing a team of packaging and test engineers
- Experience with micro-optics assembly and packaging, including optical fiber-to-chip attachment for photonic integrated circuits (PICs)
- Experience with thermal, electrical, and mechanical modeling of microfabricated devices in Ansys, COMSOL, or similar
- SEM and profilometry experience
- Flip chip/bump bonding experience
- Wirebonding experience
- Programming experience in MATLAB, Python, or other engineering relevant language
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.