Manufacturing Engineer, Quantum Computing
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Quantum Computer (QC) Manufacturing Engineer to plan and establish manufacturing process and systems for our initial production. Partnering with R&D and Supply Chain Management, the Manufacturing Engineer will also work to stand up critical manufacturing engineering and manufacturing business processes and systems/tools. This critical team member will work to characterize and improve our early P-Series products as we progress on our mission is to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Partner with Supply Chain Management (SCM) and Engineering to identify and lead implementation of our initial Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems and associated business processes
- Partner with Engineering, Finance and SCM to establish connections between PLM and Design tools and ERP tools
- Establish and maintain part-numbering conventions for our Bills of Materials (BOMs)
- Establish and maintain Engineering Change Order (ECO) processes for our products, with a focus on New Product Introduction (NPI)
- Establish manufacturing build planning process, in partnership with SCM
- Establish manufacturing flow, material movement, and work-in-process (WIP) tracking plans and systems
- Align kitting and work order release for initial production builds
- Establish repair and rework matrices for work-in-process and customer returns, including standard costing
- Data reduction and analysis of engineering and production work
- Partner with Facilities and Lab management on specification, implementation and bring-up of production infrastructure
- Ownership and management of key programs related to production bring-up
- Bring-up in-line quality assurance to meet industry standards (eg TL9k)
- Develop safety guidelines, train and enforce the protocols to employee
You’d be a good fit with:
- 5+ years’ experience in high-tech engineering, supply-chain operations and/or manufacturing of systems or sub-systems
- Experience in implementation, use or configuration of PLM systems
- Experience in implementation, use or configuration of ERP systems
- Experience transforming R&D prototypes into highly reliable products
- Collaboration with cross-functional development teams including engineering, research and development
- Strong hands-on attitude and ability to spend significant time “on the floor” with the team, being involved at the detail level. If remote to our sites (see below), a reasonable amount of travel will be required to collaborate with teams and develop and stand-up new processes.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Engineering or Science
You’d be a great fit with:
- Additional experience desired with semiconductor, optics, and photonics components, modules and systems
- Collaboration with supply chain sourcing and partnership for critical development and risk reduction
- Excel data manipulation and analysis
- Program Management experience
- Best-in-class cross-functional communication, collaboration & presentation skills
- Ability to be on-site every day
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.