Staff Engineer, Quantum Error Correction
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
Scaling quantum computers to world-changing levels will take powerful error correction. In fact, the first fault-tolerant error-corrected qubit was demonstrated on a trapped-ion quantum computer at our cofounder’s lab! We’re looking for a Staff Engineer, Quantum Error Correction to help take us there.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
In your first three months, you’ll begin developing our long-term roadmap for quantum error correction.
- Develop quantum error correction codes optimized for our current-generation hardware, while helping to co-design new quantum error correction codes in collaboration with our next-generation hardware.
- Develop scalable architectures and strategies to execute practical quantum algorithms with increasing levels of complexity using the quantum error correcting codes
- Help inform system-level requirements (error rates, classical computing requirements, etc.) to enable efficient error correction
- Perform modeling and trade-studies to inform the optimal architecture for our next-generation error-corrected systems
- Work with algorithm developers to devise useful error-detection and mitigation strategies for important near-term applications.
- Communicate ground-breaking results both internally and externally through publications and presentations
You’d be a good fit with:
- PhD or equivalent industry experience in quantum error correction or related field
- 3+ years of post-PhD or industry experience in quantum error correction
- 5+ years writing high-performance production software in a general purpose language like Python or C++
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
You’d be a great fit with:
- 10+ years post-PhD or equivalent industry experience in quantum error correction
- Prior experience in theoretical quantum computer science and/or theoretical physics
- Prior experience working with computer architecture and/or quantum computers
- Prior experience working with experimental physicists
- Prior experience working with trapped-ion quantum computers
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.