IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for Systems Engineers (multiple levels) with experience in leading and supporting multi-disciplined engineering teams through the product development lifecycle. As a member of the Engineering organization, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
In this role you will develop requirements, model architectures, complete trade studies, define verification criteria, and complete system analyses for our current and next generation of quantum computers.
- Lead/Support development teams in the System Engineering lifecycle for quantum computing programs/projects including requirements development, architecture decomposition, system analyses (reliability, maintainability, etc.), integration and test planning, and system verification
- Translate stakeholder and product requirements into design specifications
- Perform operational and functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, and interface definition for first of a kind prototypes as well as production quantum computing systems
- Support program & executive leadership through the identification of risk and risk mitigation plans
- Support technical publications of system requirements documents, interface control documents, verification procedures and reports
- Hands-on modeling, design, integration, test, and verification support of our quantum computers across lab facilities requiring skills in algorithms, software, hardware, and networking
You’d be a good fit with:
- B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering, Physics, or related subject area
- A breadth of deep understanding, backed by experience, of the principles, concepts, and methods of systems engineering such as concept development, requirement definition, functional decomposition and allocation, design solution definition, implementation, integration, verification and validation, qualification, commissioning, and operations
- Experience with system performance definition through requirements analysis using modeling tools
- Understanding of industry best practices in requirements creation, decomposition, and management
- Demonstrated technical depth with one or more of the following subject areas and/or subsystems:
- Trapped ion systems
- AMO physics
- Ultra-high vacuum systems
- Chip scale device design, packaging, and fabrication – semiconductor level modules and systems
- Optics and lasers (NIR and visible, pulsed and CW), precision micro- and bulk- optics, free space and fiber, optical sensors
- Integrated photonic components (active and passive)
- Thermal system design over broad temperature scales
- Mechanical, structural, vibe and acoustics
- Electrical, RF / Analog, and power systems (synthesizers, power amplifiers, stabilization systems, etc.)
- Real-time, embedded, or device-level application software development
- Experience with defining component and/or system verification/validation campaigns through various phases of product development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
You’d be a great fit with:
- M.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering, Physics, or related subject area
- Experience supporting a project through the full product development lifecycle
- Successful candidates typically have 3-8 or greater years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with software tools such as Jama Connect, MATLAB/Simulink, Confluence, JIRA, Git, Solidworks, and PDM systems
- Understanding of system behavioral definition following model-based System Engineering practices (use case definition, states & modes development, activity diagram creation, Model-based design, etc.)
- Experience with trapped ion quantum computing systems
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.