Mechanical Engineer, Integrated Devices
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to design, build, characterize, and install mechanical, optical, and electronic assemblies into our quantum computer and technology-testbed systems. As a Mechanical Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Assist engineers and physicists in designing, building, testing, characterizing and installing various mechanical, optical, and electronic assemblies.
- Independently conduct small scale R&D projects
- Contribute to system design efforts by developing 3D CAD models and subassemblies, creating system diagrams, and producing part drawings.
- Develop and execute engineering test plans to evaluate prototypes and critical system components
- Develop and execute assembly and subsystem installation plans
- Perform data analysis, document results, and generate formal test reports.
- Support the procurement process by creating engineering drawings, requesting quotes, collaborating with vendors for customized commercial solutions, ordering and receiving parts, and organizing and tracking inventory against a Bill of Materials (BOM).
- Manage lab spaces with particular attention to organization, logistics, and inventory to ensure system integration efforts run smoothly.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline
- Proficiency in 3D CAD modeling software
- Experience with instrumentation equipment, setting up and running experiments, and data analysis tools
- Experience designing and procuring custom parts to assist internal development
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, optical, laser, and/or ultra-high vacuum systems
- Hands-on experience with soldering and electronics assembly
- Excellent problem-solving, time-management, and written and oral communication skills
- A collaborative, detail-oriented, and initiative-taking mindset
You’d be a great fit with:
- 1-2 years experience in a related field, either in industry or research lab
- Experience building and testing optical assemblies with laser systems
- Experience working in cleanroom environments
- Experience using optical measurement tools
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Proficiency programming scripts for data capture and data analysis
- Machine shop experience including mill, drill press, band saw, hand tools, etc.
- Familiarity with finite element analysis and modeling tools
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.