Staff Software Engineer, Automation and Calibration
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including distributed computing, embedded systems, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, scientific computing--the list goes on. As a software engineer, you’ll help build our next-generation quantum computer operating system, with opportunities to switch projects as you and our business grow and evolve. We need enthusiastic, versatile, collaborative engineers to take on new problems across the stack as we continue to push quantum technology forward.
IonQ reflects the globally diverse audience that our products and technology serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. IonQ is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of humanity’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users.
Improving the quality and optimizing the efficiency of our quantum computers requires developing control routines and automated calibrations with our team of experimental physicist operators, and helping configure new hardware for the system. Prior experience with control theory, hardware device control, and working with scientists will be helpful; data analysis and statistical methods are even more useful.
This is an opportunity for a senior software engineer with an emerging or existing interest in quantum computing to bring their diverse background and talents into the future. Alternatively this is an opportunity for a quantum researcher with strong software engineering skills to engage in bringing quantum computers from the lab to the cloud. We’d love a blend of hands-on experience as well as tactical and strategic direction.
In your first three months, you’ll be helping bring up and support our newest quantum computers.
- Write code used to run physical experiments and regular quantum computer operations
- Closely collaborate with a cross-functional team to produce higher quality quantum computations
- Write adapters for new hardware devices and new capabilities
- Automate and optimize the calibration of our systems’ physical parameters
- Collect and analyze data in a tight, continuous improvement loop
- Contribute to technical documentation and perform code reviews
- Pair program with experimental physicists, teaching scalable software engineering practices along the way
- Mentor junior staff
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or relevant field and/or experience
- 5+ years of backend software engineering experience using a general-purpose language like Go or C++ (useful skills: device I/O, concurrent programming, algorithms and data structures, API design)
- Expert data analysis skills in areas like statistical testing, modeling and mathematical optimization, and/or machine learning
You’d be a great fit with:
- Masters degree or PhD in Physics, and/or exposure to quantum physics or quantum information science
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- Knowledge of Rust, Go, and/or Python
- 5+ years of machine learning experience
- Prior experience in control theory (PID implementation and tuning, parameter estimation, adaptive filters)
- Digital signal processing experience
- Experience developing real-time planning algorithms
- Comfort with performance profiling
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.