Staff Engineer, Vacuum and Advanced Packaging
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer, Vacuum and Advanced Packaging to develop novel vacuum technology for our next generation quantum computers. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
IonQ R&D team develops groundbreaking new approaches and technology that can change the landscape of how future quantum computers will be designed, manufactured and deployed. As Staff engineers in this role, you will be developing novel ways to reliably create extreme high vacuum (XHV) environment within which future trapped ion quantum computers can be constructed. We are looking for inventive engineers who has a strong track record of thinking outside the box to successfully bring new technologies into innovative products.
- Lead the R&D effort to developing innovative design, implementation and validation of new approaches to creating XHV environments
- Collaborate closely with other engineering teams to develop, engineer and mature XHV solutions that fit IonQ’s future quantum computers
- Engineering process development and documentation for design, construction, test and characterization of XHV chambers
- Hands-on thermal/mechanical modeling/simulation of XHV chambers under various operating conditions
- Coordinate testing of ion trap operation within the XHV environment
- Material and component sourcing, vendor relations and supply chain management for the XHV solutions
You’d be a good fit with:
- B.S. degree in Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or other relevant disciplines
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in research, development or engineering of relevant hardware technology, such as vacuum system design, materials processing, and mechanical engineering
- Expertise in XHV/UHV technologies such as materials issues, surface chemistry, vacuum pumps, vacuum gauges, conductance analysis, etc.
- Experience in mechanical design and materials processing, such as welding, brazing, soldering, etc.
- Must have strong communication skills to discuss system and engineering requirements, engineering solutions, testing strategies and data analysis with other R&D and engineering teams within the company
- Must have strong organizational, time management, data analysis and task prioritization abilities along with initiative, analytical skills, teamwork and good judgment.
You’d be a great fit with:
- Advanced degree (MS, Ph.D., etc.) and/or research experience in engineering, materials science, physics or related disciplines
- 10+ years of either research or industry experience in novel vacuum solutions
- Experience working with laser systems, atomic physics or ion traps
- Experience designing and building XHV/UHV pumps, gauges or related equipment
- Experience developing or working with UHV-related components, such as electrical and other feedthroughs, optical windows, etc.
- Project management skills with experience in defining and fulfilling project goals, managing and meeting project timelines and/or customer commitments, and budget management
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.