Senior Scientist - Quantum Applications and Solutions
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re looking for a Senior Scientist - Quantum Applications and Solutions. As a Senior Scientist - Quantum Applications and Solutions, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to define and enable the world’s best quantum computers and keep IonQ at the forefront of the industry. You will be part of an R&D team that will drive the adoption of our quantum computers to solve the world’s most computationally challenging problems.
- Identifying and developing quantum algorithms that promise quantum advantages in practice and at scale
- Developing quantum circuits that implement quantum algorithms in close collaboration with quantum compiler experts and quantum system experts
- Communicating and collaborating with external partners of IonQ to help determine and solve problems of interest that leverage IonQ’s quantum computers
- Contributing to software toolchains that help widen IonQ’s quantum computer user base
You’d be a good fit with:
- Doctorate degree in Physics, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operations Research or relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Proven communication skills and quick learning capability
- Success working collaboratively in a team environment
- Understanding of key mathematical techniques used in quantum computing - linear algebra, matrix decompositions, probability theory, symmetry, computational complexity analysis
You’d be a great fit with:
- Working knowledge of Python or C++
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Success working directly with clients and customers delivering marketable applications and solutions
- Demonstrated experience in quantum information science
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.