Manager, FPGA Design
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an FPGA Design Manager. As an FPGA Design Manager, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. You will lead and manage a team of FPGA engineers to design and validate firmware for a variety of quantum control subsystems that perform functions such generating the voltages for the ion trap electrodes and generating RF signals for laser control. You will collaborate with engineers and physicists to define the roadmap for FPGA development based on our system roadmap. You will perform top level requirements definition, system specification, design, coding and simulation. You will contribute to establishing the engineering processes for FPGA design, validation and CI/CD pipeline. You'll enjoy hands-on lab work, collaborating with a team, learning technical topics, working across multiple technical domains, and be uniquely positioned to help us reach the next horizon in quantum computing.
- Work with our product team and hardware engineering teams to define technical requirements and develop road maps for control electronics FPGA design
- Participate in and lead FPGA engineering design tasks, including requirements analysis, architecture definition, design partitioning, logic design, simulation, and validation
- Lead and coach your staff toward achieving engineering excellence by creating a culture of collaboration, inclusivity, and continual self-improvement
- Provide mentorship on career development and advanced technical issues through regular 1:1 meetings and formal performance assessments
- Identify, track and mitigate execution roadblocks and technical risks
- Provide clear, concise communication to management, product development teams, and customers
You’d be a good fit with:
- Strong people management skills - clearly communicating duties and tasks, being a good listener and mentor, providing constructive feedback, supporting the team to realize their potential
- At least ten years of experience in FPGA development and five years managing FPGA development teams
- Detailed knowledge of FPGA based signal processing for analog and RF systems
- Experience with bit-accurate FPGA datapath modeling and simulation using Python and/or MATLAB/Simulink
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or other relevant technical field.
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master's degree or PhD in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or other relevant technical field.
- Experience implementing digital control algorithms(PID, feedforward, MIMO) in FPGA firmware
- Familiarity with with Xilinx Ultrascale+ MPSOC devices
- Working knowledge of embedded linux and linux device drivers
- Experience using GitLab for automated firmware build and validation
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.