IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Manufacturing Leader to stand up our Seattle production & data center facility and team. This leader will own Production and Data Center operations in Seattle, including all shop floor (MES) systems and flows. This leader will partner with Product and Test Engineering to develop assembly processes, manufacturing documentation, and quality systems for our initial production computers. To enable effective product development and transfer to manufacturing, critical NPI (new product introduction) business processes, checklists, and tools must be deployed and integrated. Together with R&D, Engineering and Supply Chain Management, you will lead a cross-functional team whose mission is to commercialize IonQ products on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve very complex problems.
- Lead implementation of our new Seattle Manufacturing and Data Center operations, including associated project management
- Build and guide a world class operations team, delivering operational insights, practices and tools to achieve business objectives
- Lead and manage the quantum computer system level production assembly, production test operations, and fulfillment per requirements from Planning
- Develop core competencies and best practices for in-house manufacturing engineering and test execution, including assembly process design and implementation, and strategic partner-based assemblies (as needed)
- Evaluate IonQ’s needs and design an organization with capabilities and staffing to accomplish our business objectives
- Develop and maintain a production model to respond to fluctuating Demand, Supply, and Quality/Improvement needs
- Hire and retain top talent to grow the manufacturing capability at a new site
- Partner with stakeholders to design the manufacturing and data center facility, and monitor/modify the construction (as needed)
- Partner with Engineering stakeholders including Test Development and Opto-Mechanical Design to provide DFM requirements and prove-in for manufacturing
- Be the Manufacturing owner for our PLM system
- Drive continuous improvement activities to achieve business objectives and operational excellence
- Implement / oversee equipment calibration and maintenance programs
- Formulate the right metrics and definitions of success to drive quality, effectiveness, efficiency, cost and timelines
- Select and implement an MES (Manufacturing Execution System)
- Partner cross-functionally with other leaders to develop key business processes, and implement systems and tools to enable effective and efficient collaboration across departments, including PDLC, PLM, PNR, ECO, QRB and MRB process
- Bring-up in-line quality assurance to meet industry standards (eg TL9k)
- Develop safety guidelines, train and enforce the protocols with employees
You’d be a Good Fit with:
- 7+ years of leadership experience in high-tech, complex systems engineering and manufacturing
- 5+ years of management experience of cross-functional teams including manufacturing, process engineering, and quality
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain top talent, both experienced and new college graduates
- Experience transforming R&D prototypes into highly-reliable, commercial products
- Experience with data collection and analysis
- Experience with formal quality and continuous improvement systems/process
- Experience with supply chain sourcing and partnership for critical development and innovation
- Ability to collaborate closely with the technical, professional and facilities teams
- Strong hands-on attitude and ability to spend significant time “on the floor” with the team, being involved at the detail level. If remote to our R&D site(s), a reasonable amount of travel will be required to establish teams and processes.
- Best-in-class cross-functional communication & presentation skills
You’d be a Great Fit with:
- Demonstrated experience in implementation or configuration of PDM systems
- Demonstrated experience in implementation or configuration of MES / Shop Flow systems
- Experience with Operations or Production Management
- Experience with complex optical systems and lasers
- Experience with free-space optical systems and fiber optics
- Experience with HVAC systems
- Demonstrated ability to manage and conduct knowledge transfer between sites, identifying and implementing best practices
- Detailed knowledge and experience of Systems Engineering principles and PDLC (Product Development Lifecycle) processes
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Engineering or Science
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.