Staff Engineer, Optomechanical
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re proudly supported by high-quality investors like GV (Google Ventures), New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Amazon, Samsung, Bosch, HP, Airbus, and more.
We are looking for a Staff Mechanical Engineer. As a Staff Mechanical Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Work closely with optical engineers to develop ultra high precision beam shaping and steering hardware
- Define, design, and develop precision and miniature components and mechanical assemblies
- Define, design and develop opto-mechanical modules that incorporate components such as complex lenses, waveplates, and acousto-optics modulators
- Develop fixtures and processes for precision opto-mechanical assembly
- Evaluate suitability of design solutions by performing detailed thermal, stress and modal analysis
- Work on projects from concept development and bring them to completion at the product delivery stage, including initial debugging and sustaining efforts side by side with the manufacturing team
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related
- 10-15 years experience
- Expertise with 3D CAD modeling and proficiency in GD&T
- Experience with numerical modeling tools (e.g. finite element analysis)
- Experience designing for different manufacturing processes and material selection
- Experience with designing controlled-environment chambers
- Experience with acoustics and noise control
- Strong problem-solving, mentoring, and communication skills
You’d be a great fit with:
- Experience with active and passive stabilization systems
- Experience with industrial design
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Experience with high precision motion devices (e.g. piezos, flexures)
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.