Lead IT Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
To build the world's largest and most precise quantum computing platform, we need infrastructure that doesn’t quit. We trap atoms in a vacuum chamber and manipulate them with lasers to perform calculations that we intend to scale beyond the reach of today's supercomputers. Unfortunately, the lasers can’t run our information operations. We’re looking for our first in-house Lead IT Engineer to help manage our external 24x7 helpdesk; define and improve our endpoint management, patching, and lifecycle processes; user provisioning and SAML integrations; and more!
- Build the IT function at IonQ!
- Manage and define processes for our helpdesk to follow.
- Help us maintain SOC2 compliance by implementing and documenting processes.
You’d be a good fit with:
- 5+ years experience in IT engineering
- Experience with virtualized and containerized environments
- Experience with MacOS and Windows environment management
- 2+ years experience with JumpCloud for identity and configuration management
- 2+ years experience managing Google Workspace including auditing, security features
- Ability adapt to constraints, learn new technologies and problem solve
- Knowledge of configuring Single Sign On
- Strongly capable in a scripting language of your choice (shell, Python, etc.)
- Able to identify processes in need of automation quickly, and automate them
- Able (and excited) to mentor junior engineers
- Strong interest in security
- Experience with on premise IT environments (users and servers)
- Experience with distributed and cloud based IT environments (users and SaaS tools)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort planning and tracking work in a project management tool like Jira
- Ability to plan and balance long term projects and daily keeping the lights on activities
You’d be a great fit with:
- Experience with EDR solutions and responding to escalations around alerts.
- Experience with backup solutions.
- Experience managing IT vendors.
- Experience with physical security measures such as cameras and badge readers.
- Experience with telephony, video conferencing and power solutions.
- 5+ years experience with Terraform, kubernetes, and/or VMware
- Experience operating and debugging Unix/Linux OS internals (e.g., filesystems, inodes, system calls) and networking (e.g., TCP/IP, routing, network topologies and hardware, SDN).
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.