IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Physicist with experience in experimental AMO physics. As a member of the engineering organization, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Contribute to the system design, modeling, assembly, and characterization of a trapped ion quantum computer
- Measure and analyze data on the performance of a trapped ion quantum computer
- Closely collaborate with engineers and physicists to develop techniques to numerically model, understand, and continually improve quantum computer performance
- Independently and collaboratively design, build and operate R&D test assemblies to to support the current and next generation of world’s best quantum computers
- Mentor other engineers and scientists
You’d be a good fit with:
- PhD in experimental physics or related field, with deep knowledge of atomic and optical physics
- Experience designing and running complex AMO systems and experiments
- Demonstrated experimental experience with one or more of the following specialties: atomic physics systems, diffraction limited optical systems, lasers (from UV to IR), quantum information science, quantum sensors, atomic clocks, vacuum systems
You’d be a great fit with:
- 5+ years experience in applying research to relevant industry problems
- Experience working with ion traps, ultra-high vacuum and cryogenic systems
- Experience aligning and characterizing diffraction limited optical systems
- Experience with Python programming for data capture and data analysis
- Engineering or systems engineering experience in transforming a complex physical system into a product
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.