Staff Technical Program Manager
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Technical Program Manager (TPM) to lead a variety of Product Engineering initiatives. As a TPM, you’ll lead a diverse interdisciplinary team of Engineers and Operations experts tackling our first generation of quantum computing system products and test platforms. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
In this role you will lead coordination of complex programs and projects across teams and domains internally and externally, to drive execution to schedule through initiation, planning, execution, change control, and delivery.
- Align plans and objectives for new builds and upgrades of IonQ’s quantum computing hardware and systems, including test development and execution
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with technical teams and cross-functional stakeholders to develop, maintain, and communicate project plans and milestones to technical and non-technical stakeholders; own project reporting and governance
- Align work breakdown and deliverables to our new PLC (Product Lifecycle Process)
- Lead the transition of technology and capabilities from engineering to production, including the delivery of first articles and key process demonstrations
- Create key performance indicators and monitor project performance to understand impacts to cost, schedule, and technical performance; actively prioritize deliverables: determine critical path amongst cross-functional deliverables
- Conduct risk analysis and develop mitigation plans to ensure on-time release and delivery of project deliverables
- Contribute-to and improve technology and product roadmaps
- Drive quality control processes such as standard work, RCCA, FMEAs, and continuous improvement to reduce risks in project deliverables
- Conduct weekly meetings, drive and track action items
You’d be a good fit with:
- 8+ years experience in new product development of highly technical systems products
- B.S. in engineering, physics, computer science, or other technical field
- Prior experience in Technical Program Management
- Prior experience delivering complex, first-of-a-kind R&D projects to production including hardware/software integration
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong commitment to customer advocacy, success, and customer engagement
- Prior experience working in complex projects with many moving parts
- Ability to work effectively with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with constantly evolving roles and responsibilities
- Strong technical and software skills (Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)
You’d be a great fit with:
- M.S. in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field
- Prior experience with trapped ion systems, photonics, or quantum computing
- Familiarity with gated development processes such as PLC
- Familiarity with Manufacturing including test development
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.