Optical Systems Integration Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an Optical Systems Integration Engineer at multiple levels for either our Seattle or College Park locations. Hands-on background in complex optical and optomechanical systems integration to support multi-disciplined engineering teams in realizing the full potential of IonQ’s quantum computing products. As a member of the Product Engineering organization, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team embedded in the Systems Architecture team whose mission is to bring quantum computing out of the lab and into the hands of customers, providing value and service to the businesses and organizations that are solving the world’s most complex problems.
In this role, you will support the system integration, bring-up, verification, and performance optimization of our quantum computing products, and use that data to help develop quantum-focused requirements, processes, and verification criteria.
- Support Product development in the systems engineering lifecycle for quantum computing programs/projects, including: requirements development, architecture decomposition, integration and test planning, and performance optimization.
- Support Product realization in the system design, modeling, assembly, operation, characterization, data analysis, and debugging of a trapped ion quantum computer.
- Use holistic system knowledge and data to identify root cause functional and performance deficiencies and work with different subsystem engineering teams to remediate and improve overall system excellence.
- Support the transition of technology, including hardware, firmware, software, and processes, from engineering to production, including development of first articles and technology demonstrations.
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's Degree in optical engineering, electrical engineering, applied physics or a related field, with 5+ years experience designing and building complex optical systems and experiments, and a deep knowledge of systems integration and testing.
- Strong desire to be hands-on, with ability to spend significant time working on hardware and systems with the team and being involved at all levels of detail.
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master’s or PhD degree in optical engineering, electrical engineering, applied physics or a related field with 5+ years experience leading full-lifecycle development of complex optical systems and experiments.
- Experience with, and understanding of, the principles, concepts, and methods of Systems Engineering and the Product Development Lifecycle, including industry best practices in requirements creation, decomposition, and management.
- Experience working with ion trap, ultra-high vacuum, and cryogenic systems.
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.