Senior Optical Systems Test Engineer
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are in the process of building our Production Engineering Test Team to establish system-level validation and test, and to assist development of assembly and test documentation for our initial production systems including sub-systems and modules. As a Senior Optical Systems Test Engineer, you will be directly responsible for helping define and implement the infrastructure to support all levels and phases of hardware testing at IonQ. You will work with partner teams to understand the pain points and problems to be solved and be able implement scalable solutions. You have experience developing requirements-based test architectures for complex hardware systems, including design for test and manufacturing. You can work with partner teams to define your system in terms of requirements and help develop and execute an implementation plan.
- Work across relevant partner teams to gather requirements for a common test infrastructure
- Own the design of the test infrastructure to support all aspects of testing
- Interface with system owners to help develop verification strategies
- Help develop and implement the test design process and associated documentation
- Develop and implement design for test strategies
- Help build the tools and processes to expedite validation and verification of future products
You’d be a Good Fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Optical Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years developing and testing optical and mechanical designs for complex systems
- 2+ years of experience as a technical lead for your discipline
- Experience with Optical system design, precision machine and design principles.
- Experience with Optical solution in free space and fiber couple lens trains.
- Design for thermal stability/vibration
- Proficiency with FEA for stress, vibrational and thermal analysis.
- Proficiency with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Experience developing test solutions for a characterization/diagnostic test environment
You’d be a Great Fit with:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Optical Engineering or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience developing verification solutions for complex systems
- Design of fixturing/tooling design of optical components/Optical systems a plus
- Experience navigating the trade space of new designs between performance, reliability, cost, and manufacturability using DFM techniques.
- Demonstrated experience leading a design for test campaign through the entire product life cycle
- Experience building scalable test solutions for hardware
- Experience leading teams
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.