Technician - Engineering & Operations
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an Technician - Engineering & Operations. As a Technician - Engineering & Operations, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
- Work closely with Design, Manufacturing and Product Engineers to assist developing and piloting detailed work instructions to assemble prototype Quantum Computer components with a safety and quality mindset and a high level attention to detail
- Assist with the design and testing of prototype components for Quantum Computers
- Assist Physicists and Engineers with repeatable tasks in Research and Development and Systems Operations
- Capture and document assembly best practices, present findings to technical teams
- Assist Lab Manager with lab and facility supporting tasks including, but not limited to, facility and equipment maintenance
- Other assigned duties as required in support of business needs
- On-call after hours and weekends for response to facility emergencies
You’d be a good fit with:
- Minimum 2 year technical degree and 3+ years of hands-on experience in a fast-paced, high-tech electronics / optics laboratory / manufacturing environment
- Experience in electronics / optics / mechanical assembly, following work instructions and providing detailed feedback to improve quality and repeatability
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting, as well as cross functionally with various organizations
- Detail oriented individual and the ability to demonstrate fine motor skills
- Experience working with hand tools and performing small lab repairs
- Ability to read, understand, and follow blueprints, technical specifications and operating procedures
- Ability to perform moderate strenuous physical and repetitious work to include, but not limited to: bending, stooping, kneeling, carrying tools, lifting up to 40 pounds, and working overhead
- Experience with data collection and analysis
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Google Sheets and MS Office
- Experience with HVAC systems and facility maintenance
You’d be a great fit with:
- Demonstrated experience working in optics labs
- Experience with complex optical systems and lasers, free-space optical systems and fiber optics
- Experience in aligning lenses, mirrors, prisms, and optical/opto-mechanical components on an optical breadboard
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Experience with ERP and PLM
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.