Engineer - Electrical
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer. As an Electrical Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. You will contribute to the test and production of high performance quantum control electronics. You will perform the validation of subsystems that generate the ion trap control voltages and RF signals for laser control.
- Assist with final assembly, integration, and inspection of printed circuit board (PCB) and chassis assemblies
- Create test procedures for PCB and rack-mount subsystems based on electrical performance requirements
- Automate testing by writing python software to control test instruments
- Perform testing and troubleshooting of board and subsystem assemblies
- Prepare test reports and maintain test records
- Assist with quantum system rack layout, cabling, and power distribution planning
- Install and configure control electronics in the quantum computer and provide technical support
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 1-3 years experience with testing and troubleshooting of electronics to the component and subsystem level
- Ability to create and interpret assembly drawings, block diagrams, and component datasheets
- Detailed understanding of test equipment including: oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and signal generators
- Strong computer skills, familiarity with Windows and Linux
- Ability to automate testing using Python
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment
You’d be a great fit with:
- Work experience in control electronics
- Ability to perform SMT rework to IPC standards using a microscope
- Familiarity with optical systems is a plus
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.