System Operator - Quantum Platform
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We’re looking for a System Operations Engineer. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to operate and improve IonQ’s industry-leading trapped ion quantum computers. In the first three months on the job, you’d be learning how to maintain our quantum computers’ hardware and software. Recent graduates in physics and related fields are encouraged to apply; we will train you in quantum computer maintenance and operation!
- Ensure high uptime and performance of our commercial quantum computers, through maintenance, monitoring, and engineering of state-of-the-art quantum computers
- Automate capabilities to optimize system performance
- Work collaboratively with physicists and engineers to build tools and technologies that improve the performance of present and future commercial systems
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in physics, engineering, or another physical sciences
- A love of physics and quantum physics in particular
- Proficient programming expertise in a general-purpose programming language
- Formal training or education in statistics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a collaborative mindset
You’d be a great fit with:
- Laboratory experience in atomic physics
- Knowledge of atomic, optical, and/or trapped ion physics
- Hands on experience with optical alignments, laser stabilization, and AOMs
- A background in data analysis, data science, or machine learning
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.