Staff Cable and Harness Engineer - Quantum Computing
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff Cable and Harness Engineer. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
As a Cable and Harnessing Engineer at IonQ, you will be integrating many different components in the world of optics, electronics, and RF. You will participate in the design, implementation, optimization and enhancement of our trapped-ion quantum computer systems. Working with other engineers, you will design, fabricate, and test wiring harnesses that connect the components in our quantum system. In addition to the electrical aspects, you will contribute to the mechanical design considerations of the harness, such as shielding, connector types, and routing.
- Design complex harnesses to integrate electrical and optomechanical subsystems
- Work with other engineers to identify and document harness and connection requirements, including shielding and grounding requirements
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers to identify harness routing paths and mounting locations
- Design and maintain schematic level harness drawings
- Selection of cable types, connector types (where not driven by vendor interfaces) and harness materials
- Support fabrication, troubleshooting, and testing of harnesses and electrical subsystems
- Create ICDs and other technical documentation as required
- Perform and document failure analyses on problem areas and as the result of testing
- Partner with Supply Chain Management (SCM) and Engineering to identify areas of improvement for components, updating drawings to eliminate supplier escapes, identify opportunities for value engineering, support vendor qualifications and MRB processes
- Establish processes and procedures in compliance with our QMS, consistent with in industry standards (eg TL9k)
- Drive root cause analysis and corrective action on production failures
- Troubleshoot and correct equipment failures
- Meet business Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
You’d be a good fit with:
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent technical experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience designing, fabricating, and/or testing wiring harnesses, preferably for scientific applications
- Detailed and hands‐on knowledge of fabrication processes and workmanship criteria for cable harnesses in accordance with IPC/WHMA-A-620A.
- Technical expertise in capabilities, selection and qualification of components used in electrical and optical cable harness designs. Components include connectors, backshells, wire, contacts, splices, solder, overshields
- Ability to generate schematics and read and understand datasheets for electronic components
- Familiarity with mechanical CAD software tools such as SolidWorks
- Must have good communication skills and be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Experience with engineering oversight of integration of harnesses for complex electrical and optical systems
- Experience leading teams of engineers in harness design and development from project inception to hardware delivery
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We have also recently announced our new manufacturing and production facility in the Seattle, Washington area. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle and Toronto metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.