Staff Power Engineer - Quantum Computing
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff Power Engineer. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
As a Power Engineer at IonQ, you will be integrating many different components in the world of optics, electronics, and RF. You will participate in the design, implementation, optimization and enhancement of our trapped-ion quantum computer systems. Working with other engineers, you will design the rack configuration and power distribution for our Quantum systems.
- Define and capture rack level infrastructure and configuration based on system requirements
- Design the power management system for our Quantum systems to condition and distribute input power from the facility to all racks / components of our systems; Ensure uninterruptible power within our systems
- Read and interpret design documents by equipment manufacturers (e.g., switchgear, transformers, UPS, batteries)
- Read and interpret design documents by engineering companies (e.g., one line diagrams, layouts, raceway drawings, grounding drawings, lighting drawings, interface drawings)
- Develop specifications, SOP’s / Work instructions for rack assembly/integration
- Create SOW’s and work with third-party rack integrators to develop products as required
- Prepare conceptual and detailed drawings
- Partner with Supply Chain Management (SCM) and Engineering to identify areas of improvement for components, updating drawings to eliminate supplier escapes, identify opportunities for value engineering, support vendor qualifications and MRB processes
- Meet business objectives and key results (OKRs)
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- 8+ years of experience or equivalent in system hardware design with a focus on power and rack integration
- Experience with Single-phase and three-phase lower voltage utility power delivery including UPS systems and generators
- Experience with Power conversion stages/topologies in the 500W to 20KW power range (power factor correction, DC/DC, DC/AC, battery chargers/dischargers) and general analog circuit design skills
- Detailed understanding of electrical calculations for power distribution (e.g., cable sizing, load flow, short circuit)
- Familiarity with lab equipment like programmable AC sources, active DC loads, oscilloscopes, power analyzers, DVMs, and signal generators
- Understanding of regulatory requirements regarding safety and immunity/compatibility of power systems and components
- Experience designing systems for EMC
- Writing server rack assembly/integration instructions
- Working with third party rack integration service providers
- Tracking and driving improvement in quality of compute products
- Experience with electrical and mechanical CAD software
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We have also recently announced our new manufacturing and production facility in the Seattle, Washington area. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, Boston and Toronto metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.