Staff FPGA Engineer - Quantum Computing
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff FPGA Engineer. As a Staff FPGA Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. You will design complex FPGA solutions for our trapped ion quantum computer control systems. You will perform top level requirements definition, system specification, design, coding and simulation. You will contribute to the development of our automated build and verification process for a firmware CI/CD pipeline. You'll enjoy hands-on lab work, collaborating with a team, learning technical topics, working across multiple technical domains, and be uniquely positioned to help us reach the next horizon in quantum computing.
- Work independently to design and implement FPGA based signal processing and control functions
- Develop functional block specifications based on system level requirements
- Perform logic design using Vivado (Verilog or VHDL, IP Catalog, and Block Design)
- Perform logic simulation/verification using simulation/verification software
- Simulate signal processing and control algorithms in software
- Implement and test firmware for high speed waveform generation and digital control loops
- Write test procedures, perform unit and system level testing and debug, document test results
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or other relevant technical field
- At least ten years of technical experience in FPGA development
- Detailed knowledge of FPGA based signal processing (DDC/DUC, DDS, FIR/IIR filters)
- Fluency in modeling and simulation using Python and/or MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience in FPGA verification
- Familiarity with System Verilog
- Familiarity with code coverage and functional coverage
- Experience with verification tools such as Synopsys, Cadence, Modelsim
- Knowledge of common peripheral interfaces such as SPI, I2C, UART, and USB
- Familiarity with with Xilinx Ultrascale+ MPSOC devices
- Use of JTAG and Integrated Logic Analyzer for system debug
- Proficient with signal generators, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and other complex lab equipment
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- Success working collaboratively in a team environment
You’d be a great fit with:
- Master's degree or PhD in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics or other relevant technical field
- Experience implementing digital control (PID, feedforward, MIMO) algorithms in FPGA firmware
- Prior experience with high speed interface design and verification including ADC/DAC (DDR and JESD204B), DDR3/4 MIG, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet
- Working knowledge of embedded Linux and Linux device drivers
- Experience using GitLab for automated firmware build and validation
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We have also recently announced our new manufacturing and production facility in the Seattle, Washington area. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, Boston and Toronto metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.