Senior Staff Software Engineer - Automation & Calibration
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Staff Software Engineer on the Automation and Calibration Team. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems.
Improving the quality and optimizing the efficiency of our quantum computers requires developing control routines and automated calibrations with our team of experimental physicist system developers. Prior experience with control theory, hardware device control, and working with scientists will be helpful; data analysis and statistical methods are even more useful.
This is an opportunity for an experienced software engineer with an emerging or existing interest in quantum computing to bring their diverse background and talents into the future. Alternatively this is an opportunity for a quantum researcher with strong software engineering skills to engage in bringing quantum computers from the lab to the cloud. We’d love a blend of hands-on experience as well as tactical and strategic direction.
- Lead strategic projects making transformative improvements to the quality, automation, and usability of IonQ’s quantum computers
- Write code used to run experiments and production quantum computer operations
- Develop adapters for new hardware devices and new capabilities
- Automate and optimize the calibration of our systems’ physical parameters
- Closely collaborate with cross-functional teams of physicists and electrical engineers
- Provide technical expertise in building robust and well-engineered software solutions
- Effectively self-manage projects, schedules, priorities, and deliverables
- Provide clear, concise communication to management and product development teams
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- 10+ years’ development experience in a general-purpose programming language (like Python, TypeScript, Go, Rust, or C++)
- Data analysis skills in areas like statistical testing, modeling and mathematical optimization, and/or machine learning
- Experience in working with technical experts outside of traditional software engineering, particularly electrical engineers and physicists
- Empathy: you'll work closely with our internal team of physicists who depend on our software every day
You’d be a great fit with:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- Experience developing software for aerospace, automotive, or robotics control systems
- Strong DevOps skills and practices
- Hands-on electrical and communications troubleshooting skills
- A background in digital signal processing
- Experience implementing systems engineering practices in software projects
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We have also recently announced our new manufacturing and production facility in the Seattle, Washington area. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, Boston and Toronto metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.