Senior Layout Engineer - Integrated Photonics
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Senior Layout Engineer, Integrated Photonics. As a Senior Layout Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to lead IonQ on its journey to build the world’s best quantum computers to solve the world’s most complex problems. In this role, you will focus primarily on layout of masks for micro and nanofabrication of photonic integrated circuits (PICs) and chip-scale ion trap circuits for use in trapped-ion quantum computer systems. In addition to performing any required manual layout, you will help develop and maintain the internal component PCell and circuit layout libraries and write scripts to automate the layout of masks for tapeouts. In this role, you will also have the opportunity to work closely with the PIC and ion trap design and testing teams to help develop new and game-changing quantum technology to enable scalable quantum computing.
- Conduct layout for PICs and chip-scale ion trap circuits
- Develop and maintain internal component PCell and circuit layout libraries
- Develop and maintain scripts supporting the automated chip layout pipeline
- Develop and maintain scripts interfacing with simulation pipeline and testing pipeline
- Create clear and concise documentation of your layout designs and other work
You’d be a good fit with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Integrated Photonics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience performing layout for large-scale photonic integrated circuits and/or large-scale electronic-photonic integrated circuits
- Experience using professional layout EDA tools such as Cadence, Luceda, Synopsys, Siemens, etc.
- Proficiency in physical verification including DRC, LVS, and ERC.
- 3+ years programming experience in a general-purpose programming language (like Python or C++)
- Experience collaborating with design and fabrication engineers to deliver layouts that satisfy design rules
You’d be a great fit with:
- MS in Integrated Photonics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related degree
- 2+ years industry experience in chip layout projects
- Experience using scripting languages to automate mask layout via software packages developed for photonics: Luceda IPKISS, Cadence Virtuoso, or similar
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We have also recently announced our new manufacturing and production facility in the Seattle, Washington area. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle and Toronto metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.